Domestic Building Surveys – Houses and Flats
A building survey on a domestic property involves the identification of any of the following:
- Nail fatigue and fixing failures to pitched roofs, often resulting in the need for expensive re-roofing.
- Structural failure of roof timbers, often resulting in costly structural repairs or remodels.
- Cavity wall insulation failure, often resulting in highly expensive and disruptive repairs.
- Penetrating flooding in basement walls, often resulting in costly tanking works.
- Delaminating brickwork and concrete and other structural failures.
- Penetrating dampness in walls, resulting in costly remedial work.
- Geotechnical issues with houses being built on poor ground conditions resulting in foundation failure and expensive underpinning required.
An example of Nail Fixing Fatigue on a recent home disrepair survey.
Commercial Building Surveys
A building survey on a commercial property involves the identification of any of the following:
- Plasticizer migration and failure of single ply roofing membranes, often resulting in costly re-roofing works.
- Leaks to concealed storm water roof drainage resulting in expensive repairs to internal building fabric.
- Defective “fire stopping” and “fire cavity barriers” within voids impacting occupational health and safety.
- Failure of gaskets to curtain walling.
- Nickel sulphide inclusions in toughened glass.
- Site environmental contamination.
- Structural failure of steel and concrete beams.
An example of dry rot found on one of our building surveys.
Industrial Building Surveys
A building survey on an Industrial property involves the identification of any of the following:
- “Cut edged” corrosion to metal profiled roof sheets.
- Failed, discoloured warehouse roof lights.
- Failed siphonic rainwater roof drainage.
- Failed or missing “man safe” roof access systems.
- Missing expansion joints to masonry panels.
- In adequate fire safety glazing between compartment walls.
- Defects to structural floors.
- Inadequate building services capabilities.
- Environmental contamination.
An example of cut edged corrosion on the gutters of an industrial building we surveyed recently.
Terence Anderson Chartered Building Surveyors
Terence Anderson are a thorough and professional team of chartered building surveyors based in Manchester who offer a variety of building survey services across the UK. Contact us for more information or get in touch to find out how we can help you.